Complaints procedure

Complaints procedure

Find out how you can complain, how we resolve complaints, and other organisations which can help you.

Many issues can be resolved by better understanding and communication between the parties concerned. We're happy to discuss your complaint informally and hope to be able to resolve the situation quickly. We encourage you to ring us on 0300 131 1257 to talk things through in the first instance or email us.  

To make a complaint: 

If you feel you need to take the matter further and are looking to make the complaint more formal, please do so by completing our complaints form. Please provide us with as much detail as possible, including attaching any emails, screenshots, or photographs to help us better understand the issue. 

In line with the requirements of the Equalities Act 2010, we can make reasonable adjustments to assist you if you have a disability that prevents you from making your complaint in writing.  We can also help if English is not your first language. If you need any support completing the form, please get in touch as soon as possible. 

The process: 

Reaching a resolution quickly and efficiently will be our priority, but as each complaint will be unique, we will need some time to digest the information provided. We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 24 hours and confirm who at TIAH will review the information received. We can only determine a timescale to resolve your complaint once the detail is reviewed, but we will keep in touch with you throughout the process. 

If, for example, you are sending in an allegation that another member has breached the Code of Conduct, it may take up to two weeks to investigate thoroughly.  

How we use your data: 

We will retain the information for three months after the complaint is closed in case further issues come to light. After that point, we will anonymise complaint records to provide statistical information for long-term reporting and monitoring for TIAH (The Institute for Agriculture and Horticulture) and its stakeholders. 

Please note that requests for confidentiality or requests for suppression of the personal and complaint details will only be granted in exceptional circumstances.  If your request for confidentiality is not granted, we will usually allow you the opportunity to withdraw your complaint if you so wish.

However, it's important to understand that where the matter complained about is very serious - we may proceed with an investigation (or other action) and may have no choice but to disclose your personal and complaint details because of the allegation(s) made, even if you have expressly asked us to withdraw the complaint. 

Other organisations which may be of assistance:


The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service aims to improve organisations and working life through better employment relations and by supplying up-to-date information, independent advice, and high-quality training. Whether you're an employer or an employee, you can get free advice from their website or by calling their helpline on 0300 123 1100.

Citizen's Advice 

Citizen's Advice offers free independent, confidential advice on a wide range of topics, including benefits and housing, employment rights and discrimination, debt and tax issues.   

The Equality and Human Rights Commission

The EHRC provides advice and information about the laws and rights in the UK about age, disability, gender, race and religion.  You can call them on 0845 604 6610 (England) , 0845 604 5510 (Scotland)  or 0845 604 8810 (Wales). is the UK government's help and information online service for people in England and Wales. It delivers information and practical advice about public services.    

The Information Commissioner’s Office

The Information Commissioner’s Office is the UK’s independent authority set up to uphold information rights in the public interest, promoting openness by public bodies and data privacy for individuals. You can call them on 0303 123 1113 or 0162 554 5745.

Protect advises individuals with whistleblowing dilemmas at work, supports organisations with their whistleblowing arrangements, informs public policy, and seeks legislative change.